Sunday, June 01, 2008

Perspective

This weekend was significant:  I think I can count on one hand the amount of memorial services I've been to in my life.  This weekend I went to two.  On Saturday we went to a memorial service for my Aunt Marla, who passed away last week after battling ovarian cancer.  Her life was marked by joy, service and generosity.  Today I went to the memorial service for Joey Johnson, a friend who was like a brother to me in high school and whom the Lord suddenly took home at the age of 28.  Joey was adventurous, hilarious, and spontaneous.  He lived his life as though he knew it would be short - and filled it with memories, travels, and love for others.
Andrew and I have had some significant conversations this weekend - what it means to make the most of every day, the purpose of life, and how we teach Emma to live in light of eternity.  Our lives feel remarkably different today than they did even a week ago.   We don't have all the answers, but as my Uncle John wrote in his last letter to my Aunt Marla, "The road to the Lord's house is often bumpy...but it is the right road." 

No comments: